Friday, April 13, 2012

Fearless

Warning: this blog post references the Hunger Games (I won’t give anything away though!)

After reading the Hunger Games last week, I have a new appreciation for the word Fearless.  Katniss, the main character, would easily be described by readers as fearless. But...as you read (or watch) closely, you notice that she is scared or concerned or stressed throughout the book. It isn’t that she doesn’t fear what may be, but she doesn’t allow those emotions to affect her actions.  She sets aside her fear to make decisions based on love, respect and integrity. She preservers throughout the book, always taking the high road, winning respect and admiration from readers (and viewers) worldwide!

Katniss reminds me of Sage Sitter, one of the most fearless Moms that I know. As we were waiting during the infamous ditch scenario last week, she shared with me challenges she’s faced as a young a single mom and I observed how fearless she is. Through every challenge she has set her fear, not allowing it to guide her actions. Instead she acts with bravery, integrity, and heart.

Gary Zukav, author of Seat of the Soul, asserts that all actions come from either love or fear.  Every decision you make & action you take is based on either love or fear at the core.  You know when you act from fear because you get that sinking feeling inside when you know you could have acted differently. And when you act from love, even if not the easiest path, you know because a feeling of peace sets in where the fear was.

I’ve been consumed with so much fear about pretty much everything since I’ve been a single mom.  But I refuse to let it shape my actions going forward.  And I especially do not want Grace to live in the shadows of fear but rather bask in the sun that the security of love brings (love for herself, for her family, for others). I enjoy watching practiced “Fearless” woman like Katniss and Sage Sitter acknowledge their fear and then set it aside, choosing to act out of love for themselves, their families, and for others.

Oprah said, “I believe that every single event in life happens in an opportunity to choose love over fear.”

(will someone please remind me of this next time the fear starts to set in and I need to let the sun to shine through?)

No comments:

Post a Comment