Thursday, May 17, 2012

Karma in the form of a wet basement

I don’t know what’s gotten into me. Perhaps lack of stimulation.  Work environment is gloomy and projects are not currently fulfilling. Nothing going on in the dating world. So I’m bored. And when I’m bored, I decide to stir up trouble. In a harmless, innocent way. So I pulled a harmless prank at work. And within 12 hours was plagued from the guilt of it. We’ll come back to that.

Also, an unrelated incident at work, I got in a disagreement with a coworker that I also consider to be a friend.  I apologized for disagreeing, though I stand by what I said, it was misdirected to say to him.  I don’t want to cause anyone more stress than is already present in this aforementioned gloomy work environment.

After these 2 occurrences, both of which I felt guilty for possibly causing undo stress to someone else, even though that was not my intention, rather an unintended consequence of my actions.....my basement flooded. I’ve lived in the same house for 7 years and it has been bone dry until yesterday.  Water came streaming in from a heavy storm and my carpet had to be pulled up, the padding discarded and $2500 + 3 days later, it should be restored to dry & safe place for Grace to play.  However, I couldn’t help but thinking was this karma's way of reminding me to keep myself in check?  To not let go of my more mature sensibilities and give in to the little kid who likes to stir things up every once in awhile (don’t we all have that part or is it just me)?

One thing I struggled with for the last year (and occasionally still do today) is if the affair/blow up of the marriage was a punishment for sins that I unknowingly committed. Those of sound mind around me have assured me it is no such thing. But sometimes I wonder if I was just a little bit better, would life has turned out differently?  If I hadn’t voiced my opinions to my coworker and if I hadn’t played the prank - would my basement still be dry?

No comments:

Post a Comment