Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Date Recap: Mr. Madrid

I went out with Mr. Madrid last night. We met at a hip corner bar in his very hip neighborhood.  The type of bar where people aren’t trying to be hip, they are more carefreely irreverent, though most are young professionals.  

He walked in and I had to adjust to what he looks like in real life versus what I remembered late night at a bar. He is good looking in a low maintenance, I don’t care way. He had a small -ish tattoo that was just peeking out under his button down shirt - ok that was hot stuff.

We started talking right away and the conversation was oddly intense. Maybe that is what happens when two young divorcees get together or maybe that’s what happens with two self-proclaimed weirdos hang out.  We covered a variety of personal topics in a very engaging conversation. And although it was definitely oddly intense for first drinks, it was not uncomfortable or intrusive. It was interesting to hear his stories (born overseas, moved to USA during grade school, lived overseas during college, has traveled to many, many foreign countries, including Rwanda!  What are the odds I meet a guy who has been to Rwanda?!).  He told me upfront he was a weird guy, and he was right. But I sort of get him...in my weird girl way.

That being said, the bottom line is that he is ‘every guy I’ve ever dated in college’. Smart, interesting, and a lost soul (at least for the moment).  So he makes for good company, but not really potential dating material.

At the end of the night, he said he had a good time and we should hang out again. I agreed (even if it is as friends) but didn’t expect to hear from him again. I was surprised to get a text from him the next morning saying he will have to rent a zipcar or ride his bike out to the burbs to pay me back for making the trip into the city (of course, he doesn’t own a car...what self-respecting, city-dwelling, hip, start-up-company dude does?)

No comments:

Post a Comment