Wednesday, October 23, 2013

#roughweek

It has been a rough week. There are no two ways about it: TGI Friday’s fizzled out for no discernible reason. An executive threw a 20-page document across his desk at me at work while yelling “obviously this is too complicated for you”(clearly he didn’t know who he was talking to). Topping it off, my ‘team’ at work planned a happy hour to get together with someone who recently left and conveniently forgot to invite me (ouch!!).

I have that weak feeling in your stomach that you get when you are being yourself and are still not warmly received. It may be the case that I’m just running into people who don’t jive with my vibe (that sounded a lot cooler in my head), but it doesn’t stop the sting.

Pema Chodron’s quote for this week arrived just in time...as I am feeling ‘resentment about how it’s all working out” for me - and missing the beauty in the things that are working out wonderfully (like my beautifully re-done living room, new appointment to the township’s economic development committee, and upcoming trip to London).

OPENING TO THE MIRACLE
Meditation begins to open up your life, so that you’re not caught in self-concern, just wanting life to go your way. In that case you no longer realize that you’re standing at the center of the world, that you’re in the middle of a sacred circle, because you’re so concerned with your worries, pains, limitations, desires, and fears that you are blind to the beauty of existence. All you feel by being caught up like this is misery, as well as enormous resentment about life in general. How strange! Life is such a miracle, and a lot of the time we feel only resentment about how it’s all working out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment