Monday, February 4, 2013

“I Was Trying To Feel Some Kind of a Good-Bye.”

Great quote from Gretchen Rubin’s Happiness Project blog today.  I find such comfort in this quote because I like to say goodbye or I do feel worse!  The times I haven’t said goodbye, the person or situation has haunted my dreams for months and in a few rare cases, years to come. And when I finally did say goodbye, it was literally finding peace.

The Runner did reply to my email saying goodbye. And he said the things I’ve been hoping he would say all along - acknowledging the situation, acknowledging he cared.  I didn’t want to say nor hear that it should be revisited, I just wanted to say and hear goodbye.

“What I was really hanging around for, I was trying to feel some kind of a good-by. I mean I’ve left schools and places I didn’t even know I was leaving them. I hate that. I don’t care if it’s a sad good-by or a bad good-by, but when I leave a place I like to know I’m leaving it. If you don’t, you feel even worse.”

– J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

No comments:

Post a Comment