Thursday, January 31, 2013

Credentials don't count!

I’ve been emailing long, witty emails with A Teacher for the last 2 ½ weeks Finally we crossed the boundary and moved to a phone call.  For the first 2 days, we talked excited for over an hour on the phone until the hour was late and it was time to pass out.  However, I found that I stayed true to my nervous banter which I don’t think is nearly as witty nor endearing as my emails.  After not hearing from him all day yesterday, I started beating myself up for being too brash, too opinionated, too everything! Until it was pointed out that those things rephrased as being honest and genuine. And in being so with someone else, if they don’t respond by meeting you half way, then they aren’t worth the time & energy going forward. I love this quote:

“The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you’re uncool” - Almost Famous (c/o Brene Brown)

I did finally exchange 2 texts with The Teacher right before bedtime last night when he basically said he had a bad day, he was exhausted, and packing for last minute trip to the Superbowl (long story).  I wrote a positive, if not downright cute text back, and received no response (likely because he was asleep before I sent my reply). Nonetheless, a good friend pointed out that we’ve been judging people based on their credentials - i.e. he looks great on paper!  But what really counts is actions. So going forward, I’m attempting to take the tactic of actions matter, not words & definitely not credentials. There are many “impressive people” but I’m looking for the one who can BE that person, not just say they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment