Thursday, May 2, 2013

Something has gone really wrong...or right?

Last night Grace was at her father’s and I had a free night to myself. I went for a run, ate my favorite meal (cereal!) and watched some TV. As they night went on I felt lower and lower.  What should be my independent free night felt more like a prison sentence in the isolation cell.  I mentioned to a friend that my life was feeling lame and it seemed like something went very wrong along the way. Then I paused and wondered if it was true. Sure, the divorce happened. That was certainly a bump. But is my life forever altered for the worst?  My mom sold her house and is moving up here. Grace and I are soaking in the warmer weather with outdoor activities, and I’m spending my weekend with my frends. It seems to me that something must be going really right for me to be so lucky.  

Once I made that shift in thinking, from feeling lame for being solo for one night, to feeling lucky for the bigger picture of things, my mood lightened. There is an old saying the “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” and I think this is doubly true for happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment