Saturday, August 4, 2012

Seriously Not Serious

I received a phone call from Mr. Nice Guy two days after he returned home from guys weekend. Not a text, not a telegraph - an actual phone call to converse about weekend antics and weekly plans to come. It was lovely.  Then I saw him last night. We had drinks on a deck at the shore. Dimly lit, soft breeze, the perfect temperature. It was wonderful. We talked about everything from literature to music and then to relationships....and then I heard the same sentence I’ve heard almost weekly...”I’m not looking for anything serious”.   My heart sunk. Here was the first guy who was all possibility. Who each bit that I learned was great and each action he took thoughtful. Only to find out that he’s “not looking for anything serious” because he just got out of a long term relationship and wants to spend some time alone.  

I don’t get it. If only I had a dime for each time someone said - you are really great & I want to hang out with you, but I don’t want anything serious (technically, he’s the 2nd guy to drop that line in 24 hours, but I won’t get into the first).  

Each time I meet someone who seems to have some potential, my heart and mind race. A picture starts to emerge of what things ‘could be like’ and although I try to reign it back in and stay in reality of what exists today, my fantasy-land always takes on a life of its own and when reality finally strikes, in the form of “I’m not looking for anything serious”, my hopes are dashed and I’m back to square one.

Will there ever be someone who wants to date? Who is looking for more than fun?  Does romance still exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment