Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Why I deserve a cookie

Now that I’ve related the story of the disappointing end of the time with The Runner, it is time for a bit of cheer.  I deserve a cookie. Perhaps a dozen. And maybe even a cake. With a candle.

I told The Runner this wasn’t going to work, not because of his unsureness of the child, but because of how it was handled.  He did not treat me  in the honorable way that you show to someone you care about.  I was upfront with him about my situation and my expectations. Also about what it would take for him to be comfortable with Grace.  But he did not do the work. It is on him. At no point did I internalize or take an ounce of blame.  

The Runner actually thanked me for putting him in his place.  I don’t know what that means to him and I don’t need to care - I know that I was fair to myself. I put myself first. I even offered room for growth and learning for him, as a person. But he missed the boat to be with me.

Now I’m sulking. And I really want a cookie. But I earned this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment