Monday, November 3, 2014

The Hero's Journey - Notes from Elizabeth Gilbert


Elizabeth Gilbert was interviewed on Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday talking about the ‘hero’s journey’.  Gilbert made many eye-opening points, of which I took notes and included below:

  • You own your dignity, your grace, your gratitude. You can keep them if you want to. - knowing things will change but not fearing the change. Enjoying what is happening right now.
  • Failure, disaster, shame, suffering and pain do not necessarily make you a better person unless you participate in turning it into something good.
  • Use your thinking to turn suffering into grace. If you don't transform your pain you suffered for nothing.
  • Become an adult enough to take care of the child that is inside.  Learning that no matter what you are going to be ok.
  • At the end of the hero's journey you come back home and share what you learned.
  • “It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live a perfect imitation of someone else's life.” -Bhavagad Gita
  • There is no happiness with self accountability. You can't expect everything to change with doing anything, you have to do it.
  • Who are you going to blame your life on today? You are in charge of you. There is only weakness in waiting for external circumstances to change.  Freedom is in self accountability - I'm in charge of this person, whatever happens out there is none off business. I am 100% accountable for this soul.

I love that saying, “I am 100% accountable for this soul.”  When I want to turn to blame or fear and curl up and hide, it is a good reminder that it is on me to make my life what I want. To be who I am, who I want to be….to be accountable for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment